For VmWare virtual machine backups, Veeam offers a free, yet fully functional version (no limit on the number of hosts or virtual machines, or expiration date) of its powerful product for cloning, copying, exporting, and administering Virtual machines, even in stand-alone environments (ESXi, Hyper-V).
Here is a non-exhaustive list of VeeamZip features:
- Easy to use
- Restoring virtual machines and individual guest OS files
- Native banding support
- Direct NFS access
- Migrating virtual machines without vSphere vMotion
- Export Hyper-V virtual machines without downtime
- Administering virtual machines and host files
- VMware vCloud Director support
- Support for vSphere, Hyper-V, and Windows Server
- Restoration of application objects and e-discovery:
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory,
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Sql Server
- Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots
This link points to a PDF file that exposes the differences between the paid version and the free version.
A video of demonstration makes it possible to discover:
- The architecture,
- Failover, failback
- Sure Replica
- Wan accelerator
This free and functional version is a seductive concept for discovering the excellent Veeam products.