For the management of computer parks, there are many solutions, more or less efficient, more or less cheap.
The solutions presented here, NAGIOS and GLPI-OCS, are very efficient... and free!
Nagios is a free WEB application, under GPL license, allowing the monitoring of systems and networks. It monitors machines and the specified services, alerting in real time when the systems have malfunctions, or when they return to normal operation.
The product consists mainly of three parts:
- The application engine that schedules supervision tasks
- The web interface, which allows to have an overview of the information system and possible anomalies.
- The plugins, a hundred mini programs that can be supplemented according to the needs of each to supervise each service or resource available on all the computers or elements of networks
Since the main developer chose not to distribute all the modules under free license, some active developers of this project have made a fork called Icinga.
Here are the main features of NAGIOS:
- Supervision of network services: (SMTP, POP3, HTTP, NNTP, ICMP, SNMP, LDAP, etc.)
- Monitoring of server resources (CPU load, hard drive occupancy, expanded memory usage)
- Interfacing with SNMP
- Possibility of remote monitoring via SSH or a SSL tunnel
- Plugins are written in the programming languages most suited to their task: shell scripts (Bash, ksh, etc.), C ++, Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, C #, etc.
- Verification of services performed in parallel mode
- Ability to define hierarchies in the network, in order to distinguish, for example, a failed server from an unreachable server
- Alerts can be completely parameterized thanks to the use of plugins (alerts sent by email, SMS ...).
- Possibility of alert acknowledgment by administrators
- Management of escalations for alerts (an unacknowledged alert is sent to a different group).
- Possibility to limit the visibility (some users may have limited access to a few items)
- Ability to manage oscillations (number of transitions from a normal state to an error state in a short time)
- Ability to create your own plugins, in the language of your choice: just follow the Nagios standard and return codes
- 0 : OK
- 1 : WARNING
- 2 : CRITICAL
- 3 : UNKNOWN
GLPI is an open-source WEB application for the management of computer parks and offers the following functionalities:
- Management and monitoring of IT resources,
- Management and monitoring of licenses,
- Management and monitoring of consumables,
- Knowledge base,
- Management of reservations,
- ServiceDesk (helpdesk...),
- Automated inventory,
- Remote deployment
By adding the OCS inventory layer, this become a complete at low cost solution for the management of computer parks.
Want to try? Here is the tutorial link
The main advantages of this solution are:
- Cost reduction
- Optimization of resources
- Strict license management
- Quality approach
- Customer Satisfaction
- Minimum technical requirements
- Immediate production
- Accessible from a simple web browser
- Customizable interface
- Intuitive operation
- Easy addition of functionality thanks to a system of plugins
- Communication with existing directories
Full details can be found here.
These high-performance, free-of-charge solutions enable IT administrators to easily and efficiently manage their IT assets.